Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Salsify

Food Lesson of the Night: What
Exactly is Salsify?

Salsify Root Photo
I’m an avid cook, a gastronome at heart, and I can surely eat. I love exploring new ingredients and have eaten almost everything under the sun including (sad to say) cheddar cheese crickets, salt ‘n pepper maggots, scorpion lollipops and the list goes on. But throughout my edible adventures, one ingredient that I haven’t tried (as of yet) is salsify.

Salsify is a wildflower/vegetable that has been cultivated since the 16th century for its edible root and, though it has been around for 400+ years, it has gained limited exposure in the United States. I have seen it maybe once or twice at local farmer’s markets, but that’s about it.

Some say the root tastes similar to an oyster, which is why salsify is sometimes referred to as the ‘oyster plant’. According to Wikipedia, “the flowering shoots can be used like asparagus, either raw or cooked, and the flowers can be added to salad, while the sprouted seeds can be used in salads or sandwiches.”

Moral of the story: Get you some salsify and give it a whirl! I know I will be soon.
Salsify

Salsify Salsify
Salsify Salsify
Welcome to my blog, today I want to post interesting news about Salsify, I found some sites especially entertainment sites and news discuss about this, here the short summary and picture of Salsify.
Salsify – : Read a ultimate headlines salsify salsify as well as alternative information. Check behind tomorrow for some-more of a hottest headlines salsify. Hell’s Kitchen: Double Header Tonight!
Hell’s Kitchen: Double Header Tonight! Public Broadcast News (blog): Wayne Weber posted a photo: Yellow salsify. River Road, just N of Oliver, BC May 28, 2010.
Yellow Salsify: Salsify seems like a very Swedish ingredient. I took inspiration from a very inspiring recipe book called Aquavit and made the salsify into an ersatz version of tagliatelle and smothered it in a creamy seafood sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment